We must have heard the saying- “Eat your breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper.” This is the secret to remaining healthy and fit. Breakfast is considered to be the most important meal of the day. Breakfast typically means ‘breaking the fast’. After a long overnight fast, breakfast replenishes the nutrients in our body and boosts metabolism. Some people feel that skipping breakfast can help them lose weight. But skipping breakfast can lead to overeating later when they feel extremely hungry. There are many advantages of eating breakfast, so let’s see them one by one.
Benefits of Breakfast:
1. Imagine trying to start a vehicle without petrol. It does not move at all. Similarly, breakfast provides the fuel to our body to enable us to perform tasks efficiently throughout the day.
2. Breakfast restores the glucose level in our body which improves our memory and concentration. It helps in proper functioning of the brain.
3. If we skip breakfast, we try to compensate for it later by munching on unhealthy junk food as we crave for high fat and sweet products. Having breakfast helps to control these food cravings that we have throughout the day. As a result, people can manage their weight and also remain healthy.
4. Breakfast helps in relieving stress and improving our mental health. It also reduces the risk of cholesterol, diabetes and heart diseases in the future.
5. Having breaking with our entire family together helps in strengthening our relationships with our closed ones.
What should you have for breakfast? The breakfast we have should be rich in calcium, iron, protein, fiber and Vitamin B. Milk is one the most important source of calcium which can help in maintain good heart health and muscle functioning. Consuming fresh fruits and vegetables provide the necessary nutrients and minerals to our body which also help in managing weight. We should also include carbohydrates such as whole grain in our diet which provide energy. Including protein rich food in our breakfast boosts our metabolism and keeps our stomach full for a longer duration. There are 25 different Indian breakfasts and each includes around 100 food items. For example, in south India people generally prefer idly, Vada and dosa along with sambar and chutney. In the north people eat poha, puri, paratha or roti with vegetables etc. In Western India, people generally prefer dhoklas, khakhras, upma etc. In the east, people eat French toast, flaked rice and eggs.
Breakfast is the most prominent meal of the day. Most people skip it as they are in a hurry to go to work. But it is important to understand that without eating in the morning we cannot focus at our workplace which can lead to stress. That is why it is better to wake up early and have a good breakfast rather than running to work without eating anything. Drinking milk or eating a banana are also of great use to our mind and body and can provide the essential nutrients. Establishing the habit of having breakfast right from the childhood can help a person remain fit throughout his life.