Having healthy breakfast in the morning has amazing health benefits. We all know this, but most of the times we are either in a hurry to rush to the office or to drop kids to school we just grab some cereal or have caffeinated drinks like tea and coffee and get on with daily work.
I have realised this is a huge mistake with experience. Various studies have proved that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But that doesn’t meet you will consume high-calorie sugary food like a bowl of cereal loaded with sugar or a doughnut. Rather consuming a meal loaded with vitamin, protein, minerals, fibre and fatty acids can do wonders for your body.
A breakfast containing necessary nutrients in the right portion size kickstarts your metabolism and helps burn calories throughout the day. I have also realised that having a healthy breakfast keeps me energised throughout the day and also helps me focus.
Mistakes regarding breakfast choices
Skipping breakfast is a huge mistake. You need food in your system long before lunchtime. If you don’t eat first thing, you may get so hungry later on that you snack on high-fat, high-sugar foods.
Most people eat packaged food for breakfast. That’s a huge mistake. Always prepare a fresh breakfast. Your breakfast should contain adequate carbohydrates, protein, healthy fats and fibre. Carbs will give you energy right away and the protein will give it to you later on. Fibre helps in feeling full.
Benefits of a healthy breakfast
- Blood sugar levels are generally low on waking up, a healthy breakfast helps to replenish the need for glucose in the body
- It makes you feel more energetic throughout the day.
- Helps in better memory and concentration
- Boosts metabolism
- Burns more calories throughout the day
- Reduces chances of getting cardiovascular diseases
- Reduces chances of getting diabetes
- Lowers the level of LDL (bad) cholesterol
How To plan your breakfast
Most of the times due to lack of time and planning we skip breakfast. Here are few pointers to keep in mind so you do not skip the most important meal of the day. And I will also share 30 Breakfast Recipes ideas so you are sorted for a month.
- Plan ahead. Keep your Saturday mornings to plan for the entire week. This will give you enough time to prepare batters. Also, you can shop for the groceries required and keep all the ingredients ready.
- Decide the next day breakfast menu the previous evening. So, you can do all the soaking, grinding preparations in advance. Most of the times for all south Indian breakfast recipes these preparations are required a day in advance.
- Variety is the spice of life. Thus, plan a varied menu. Like if you have one particular dosa recipe, one type of paratha recipe, one chilla recipe and a salad recipe for one week you will not need to repeat the similar item again the entire month. Try different cuisines.
- In case you have to leave early and don’t have time to eat breakfast, choose a recipe which can be packed and carry it along with you. But do not compromise on breakfast.
- I know this is difficult to follow due to busy schedules and challenges of living in big cities, still, I insist to have breakfast along with the entire family. Family bonding early in the morning will keep you cheerful the entire day.
- And on very busy days, drink smoothies or milkshakes but do not step out on an empty stomach. Now coming to,
What to prepare daily in the morning?
Here are 30 Breakfast Ideas:
- Rava Upma
- Idli & Sambar
- Ragi Dosa
- Scrambled eggs
- Vegetable Omelette
- Boiled eggs
- Banana Pancake
- Eggless Sweet Pancake
- Fruit Smoothies