We must have come across the saying- “All work and no play makes jack a dull boy.” If we just focus on work without giving importance to physical activities, our mind tends to become dull and lazy. We tend to get exhausted easily. Sports is a major source of recreation and entertainment in a person’s life. They are a great leisure activity. They help in the overall development of a person. That is why most schools encourage students to participate in sports competitions. Sports are classified into two categories: indoor and outdoor. Indoor sports include chess, ludo, carrom, etc. Outdoor sports consist of cricket, football, badminton, etc. A person can choose any sport of his choice to take his mind off his busy schedule. Playing can help a person in many different ways.
1. Sports gives you mental strength and physical strength. Sometimes parents stop children from playing. They think that only studying is important and persuade children to study the whole day. But studying for a long time can increase the stress level. Even employees have a lot of stress due to their work. In order to reduce stress, every person needs to relax for some time. Sports is a great way to reduce stress.
2. Outdoor games help a person to be physically fit and reduce weight. They generate a lot of energy in our body. As a result, we become tend to remain healthy. If we play for at least one hour daily, we need not go to gym to remain fit. Playing helps in burning calories and excess fat accumulated in the body.
3. When we play, we tend to sweat. Sweating helps to release toxins from our body. Sports also help in getting healthier bones.
4. Sports teach us about the importance of teamwork, how to communicate with others and how to coordinate with others. It also helps us build our leadership qualities. It also teaches us about spirit of healthy competition.
5. Playing also helps in reducing illness such as diabetes, hypertension, depression, etc. The physical activity involved in playing also helps in having a good night’s sleep.
6. Indoor games help to build problem solving skills. They improve the thinking ability, logical skills and also boost self-confidence. They sharpen the mind which helps students to study better.
7. People who are good at sports can excel in their respective fields by taking it up as a full-time job.
Sports enhance the quality of our life. Sports are as important as education. They both go hand in hand. Both of them are equally important for the overall development of a person. If a person is good at sports, he can create wonders by winning medals for his country. Sports gives happiness and joy. It has a positive effect on the mind and body of an individual. They have a lot of advantages and that is why it is our responsibility to maintain a balance between work and play in order to remain healthy and fit.