It is important that your PAN card be connected to Aadhaar, because if the Aadhaar-PAN connection is not in place by March 31, the PAN card will be made useless and inactive. Furthermore, if a PAN card is not connected to Aadhaar within the stipulated period, a penalty of Rs 10,000 must be paid under Section 272B of the Income Tax Act.
What would the impact of the PAN card’s inactivity be? You can probably assume that the PAN card is needed for opening a bank account, purchasing mutual funds or shares, and even cash transactions of more than Rs 50,000. You won’t be able to do any of these things in this case. If this is the case, you must check the status of your PAN card, see if you have connected Aadhaar to it, and if not, do so by March 31.
This is how the PAN-Aadhaar Connection status looks.
- Visit the Income Tax Department’s official website at www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in.
- Click on the ‘Connect Aadhaar’ option on the left side of the screen.
- To check the status of your PAN card-Aadhaar linking, click ‘Click here’.
- Fill in the PAN and Aadhaar information on the next tab, then press View Link Aadhaar Status.
- If you have your PAN and Aadhaar link, then information will be found here and if not, it will also be available.
Process to link PAN to Aadhaar
- PAN can be linked to Aadhaar by sending a message from your mobile via SMS . You will need to message UIDPAN <SPACE> 12 digit Aadhaar number> <SPACE> <10 digit PAN> to 567678 or 56161.
For example, UIDPAN 111122223333 AAAPA9999Q PAN can be linked to Aadhaar by sending a message from your mobile.
- Go to https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home .
- Click on ‘Link Aadhar’ in the Quick Links section on the left.
- Now the page will open, fill in PAN, Aadhaar number, and your name on Aadhaar.
- If only the year of birth is mentioned in your Aadhaar, then you have to tick this option- ‘I have only year of birth in Aadhaar card’.
- After this enter the captcha code and click on the link base.
- After this, a confirmation page will open, in which the show will show that the PAN has been successfully linked to Aadhaar.
- PAN and Aadhaar can also be connected at an offline PAN service provider’s service centre, such as NSDL or UTIITSL. For this, the ‘Annexure-I’ form must be completed, along with a copy of some supporting documents such as a PAN card and an Aadhaar card. This is not a free operation. You will be charged a set rate. This fee is calculated by whether PAN or Aadhaar information has been given.