Pugs are an amazing breed of dog because they are sweet, fun-loving and kind. However, they are also fairly high maintenance when it comes to their health. Pugs have very sensitive bodies, so they need the best food possible to stay healthy. If pugs do not get proper nutrition from their diets, they can get sick easily. Luckily, pug owners can check out this list of the 5 best dog food for pugs to see which dog food they should get for their furry friends.
Best Dog Food for Pugs
Dogs need a balanced diet to stay healthy, and that is especially true for pugs. Pugs are prone to many conditions and illnesses because of years of breeding. Therefore, it is critical for pug owners to take special care of their pooches, especially when it comes to their diets. Dogs need a variety of nutrients in their diets, which are protein, carbs, fats, vitamins and minerals. The best dog food for pugs should contain all of those nutrients, but it should focus more on protein with some fats and carbs. The listed dog food below contains these important nutrients for pugs.
Royal Canin Pug Adult Dry Dog Food – Best for Maintaining Weight
- This dry dog food is a specialty food by Royal Canin for pugs. Each dog breed has different needs, so Royal Canin makes specific formulas for each breed, including pugs. It has the right amount of nutrients to keep a pug healthy and happy while preventing weight gain.
- Royal Canin Pug Dog Food contains about 23% protein, which is enough for most dogs to stay healthy, maintain muscle tone and prevent weight gain. Excess protein gets stored as fat, so it is important that pugs get just enough. Other dog food brands contain too much protein for small dogs like pugs, so this one is ideal.
Taste of the Wild High Prairie Puppy Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- This dog food is great for pug owners that want to feed high-quality food to their dogs on a budget. It has a good amount of nutrients for many pugs. It also has unique meat ingredients to replicate a dog’s diet in the wild.
- The puppy formula of this dog food has 17% fat and 28% protein, which is excellent for most puppies. It has no artificial preservatives. What makes Taste of the Wild stand out is that it uses unique meat in the formula, which includes venison, beef, lamb meal and bison.
Wellness CORE Grain-Free Small Breed Turkey & Chicken Recipe – Best for Strong Muscles
- This dog food focuses on a simple diet to give a pug all their dietary needs without any unnecessary ingredients. It contains lots of good protein, omega fatty acids, etc. The dog food also has many plant-based ingredients that are great for pugs. It can also support joint health.
- This formula focuses on feeding dogs diets based on their primal ancestry. This brand is grain-free, since most dogs did not eat grain in the wild. This dog food has more protein than the others mentioned earlier, having about 36% protein. However, it mostly comes from lean protein like turkey and chicken, making it ideal for more active pugs who need more protein.
Holistic Select Natural Dry Dog Food Lamb – Best for All-Natural Dog Food
- This dry dog food is not specifically for pugs, but the formulation makes it great for pugs. It has high-quality ingredients to provide a balanced diet for small pugs. It is particularly great for supporting the digestive system. It is also an all-natural dog food choice.
- Pug owners that want natural dog food will love this brand. There is no wheat gluten, wheat, fillers or meat by-products in this formulation. It also does not contain preservatives, flavors and artificial colors, making it a holistic choice. This brand boasts high-quality ingredients in their dog food, which includes a variety of meats, veggies and fruits.
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Adult Small Breed Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe – Best for a Strong Immune System
- This formulation is great for small dogs like pugs because it contains enough protein, vitamins and antioxidants to support overall health and the immune system. It is also small enough for pugs to eat. It also contains ingredients that support joint health, which is important for pugs.
- This formulation has no artificial flavors, colors or preservatives. It is a good quality dog food at a low price. This formula focuses on improving the immune system and muscle development. It contains Menhaden fish and deboned chicken meal as its lean, good-quality protein sources. Veterinarians helped create the Lite Protection line, which is why it features an excellent ingredients list