Beauty Benefits Of Carrot Seed Oil For Skincare: How To Use, DIY Remedies
There are some essential oils that get all the spotlight, like tea tree, eucalyptus; you might find another option potentially worth knowing – carrot seed oil. The use of this oil dates back to ancient Greek, Roman, and Egyptian civilisations who used the oil in an effort to soothe inflammation. Carrots come rich in beta-carotene, the substance that gives them their orange colour, but thankfully, on the skin, it has an entirely different positive effect. However, this oil should not be confused with carrot oil, which is made from crushed carrot roots and can be used for culinary purposes. As an essential oil, the carrot seed oil is intended for external use only. So what’s the deal behind this underestimated oil? Here’s what you need to know.
Benefits Of Carrot Seed Oil
1. Helps Improve Mood
Aromatherapy helps in uplifting the mood. Carrot seed oil is widely used in aromatherapy to help relieve symptoms of anxiety, stress, weakness, and fatigue.
2. Antioxidant Properties
Carrot seed oil is rich in antioxidants, which makes it the perfect anti-ageing ingredient. It is beneficial as a rejuvenator for ageing skin. These antioxidants also protect your skin from sun damage.
3. Antibacterial Properties
Carrot seed oil has potent antibacterial properties. It inhibits the growth of many harmful bacteria on the skin. The oil targets the bacteria alone and does not cause any damage to the underlying skin.
4. Anti-Inflammatory Properties
Carrot seed oil exhibits anti-inflammatory properties and is soothing to the skin and scalp. It helps in reducing redness, irritation and acne.
How To Use Carrot Seed Oil?
1. In Aromatherapy
Used in aromatherapy applications, carrot seed oil can be used to make a stress-relieving blend, add 3-6 drops to an electric diffuser. For a homemade diffuser, boil 2-3 cups of water and to this add 5-10 drops of carrot seed essential oil.
2. As An Exfoliant
Carrot seed essential oil makes an ideal ingredient for use in a natural face exfoliant that will not only remove dead skin cells and cleanse pores. First, pour 2 tbsp. coconut oil and 2 tsp. honey. To this, add 4 tbsp organic coffee grounds, then blend all the ingredients together. To this mixture, add 8 drops of carrot seed essential oil and 6 drops of tea tree essential oil.
3. As A Face Mask
For a clay face mask that is known to refresh, rejuvenate, and protect the skin against damage, first combine 1 tsp. multani mitti (Fuller’s Earth) clay, 1 tsp. aloe vera gel, and 2 drops carrot seed essential oil in a small bowl using a spoon. Using a face mask brush, apply the mask to the face, avoiding the eye area.
Points To Remember When Using Carrot Seed Oil
- Carrot seed oil, like all essential oils, should always be diluted with a carrier oil prior to using it on your skin. You also shouldn’t ingest it.
- Carrot seed oil is generally considered safe if used externally. With that being said, you should never apply undiluted carrot seed oil to the skin as it may cause redness, rash, and burning sensations.
- Prior to using carrot seed oil, always test the diluted oil on a small patch of skin and wait overnight to see if any reaction is occurring.
- When exposed to sunlight and heat, beta-carotene can easily oxidize and cause skin discolouration and irritation. So, it’s recommended to use carrot seed oil in the evening, as part of an evening routine.